Saturday, October 10, 2009

LONG Overdue Update

TONS of things have changed in the last few months. My dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer in late July. He had his stomach removed within a week of being diagnosed; I mean, he diagnosed on Tuesday, saw the surgeon on Monday, and had his stomach out on Thursday. It all went so fast it was kind of hard to believe what was happening. He had his entire stomach, 44 lymph nodes (25 of which turned out to contain cancer), his spleen, and the fat layer that is in between the stomach and the muscle removed. He is now doing extensive chemotherapy and radiation. It's been a month of chemo so far and he'll be doing it through February. And that's scary considering they got all of the cancer. His oncologist (cancer doc) has told him that someone with his type of cancer has a 3 year life expectancy. We are not accepting that. More importantly, he is not accepting that. His spirits are high and I know he can beat this.
Dad came home from the hospital the same day that Mike deployed to Iraq. We get to video chat a lot which is really a God send. I've been spending most of my time working, crocheting and knitting, and setting up my 46 gallon fish tank.
Mike and I plan on getting married when he comes home from deployment (and I think he plans on getting engaged during leave, but I'm not sure. I know he bought a ring : D). So far, I've been planning a ton and I'm really excited. We are hoping to get married on a Saturday afternoon at around 2 o'clock. I think it would be really cool to have an afternoon tea for a reception; including tea, coffee, southern sweet tea, lemonade, caesar salad, pasta salad, couscous, tea sandwiches, and cake. After much discussion, our colors are Lavender, Mint, and Gray. (I originally wanted Hot Pink, Lime, and Black. He didn't like the hot pink so I though Plum, Lime, and Black would be cool. He thought they were too bold so we are doing a toned down version).
I've been working almost full time at the school district as a paraeducator and I LOVE it. I'm hoping to get a permanent position instead of being hourly like I am.
On a side note, I turn 21 on the 22nd of this month! So far, I'm excited, but I have no idea what to do for a "party". I think a few friends and I are going to go bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment