Wednesday, January 14, 2009

BBQ chicken pizzas

With my parents in Vegas/Death Valley for their 25th anniversary I am left to fend for myself. A few days ago I used our Amish bread starter that we got from my aunt to make 2 lovely loafs that turned out so well that my class devoured it. I’ve never seen them eat anything that voraciously. Unfortunately, I can’t post a recipe for the bread because you have to be given a starter from someone. Sorry. Last night for dinner Mike and I had a bbq chicken from Fred Meyer, home grown and canned green beans courtesy of my grandma Gert, and Greek garlic potato wedges. The potatoes were okay but I wish I had had more time to attend to them while cooking. I had to run to the store to pick up the chicken etc and Mike was left in charge of watching the wedges. He let me know that they were browning but failed to mention that the pan was blackening… Oh well. They were still tasty. The recipe can be found here. I plan on making them again at some point but I think I will marinate them a little longer first. Onto the pizzas…

My dad, an excellent chef and smart man, created this recipe a few years ago. Seeing as how it’s not terrible for you, it uses leftovers and is WAY easy, not to mention DELICIOUS to boot, it was a hit. My mom, God bless her, can barely cook and has been consulting me on the subject since I was 12. Even she can make these, and make them well. Have fun!

Ingredients

Bell peppers (I used 2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange, but it’s all preference. And that many peppers makes about 8 pizzas)

Red or white onion (I used red and it was yummy. You want about an equal ratio of onion to pepper but again, it’s all preference)

BBQ sauce (I used Longhorn)

Olive oil

Flour Tortillas

Cheese (I used a Mexican blend)

Left over chicken, shredded and cold

shredded-chicken

(I omit amounts because it really depends on how many you make. You really want to end up with about equal parts chicken and bell pepper/onion mixture.)

Heat oven to 425º

Thinly slice onions and bell peppers. Sauté them in a large skillet with a little olive oil until they are nice and soft and caramelized.

This is what they should look like after cooking

This is what they should look like after cooking

Place 2 tortillas on a cookie sheet. Brush a small amount of olive oil onto the tortillas until they are coated. Brush about 2 tbs of bbq sauce onto the tortilla.

Use just enough bbq to cover the tortilla

Use just enough bbq to cover the tortilla

Sprinkle on about 2 tsp of cheese (tortilla should still be showing through. I sprinkle a little cheese first so the chicken doesn’t slide off the sauce when you try to eat it.)

Yummy cheese

Yummy cheese

Place the chicken on the tortilla in an even, single layer. Don’t crowd it too much.

Mmmmm chicken........

Mmmmm chicken........

Sprinkle another little cheese layer.

step-7

Spread the onion/bell pepper mixture in an even thin layer.

step-8

Sprinkle a final cheese layer.

waiting-for-the-oven

Bake in the 425º oven for 15 minutes or until the edges of the tortilla are golden brown, the chicken is heated, and the cheese is melted.

in-the-oven

Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes or so and then cut with a pizza cutter and enjoy!

On the right, finished beauties. On the left, waiting their turn.

On the left, finished beauties. On the right, waiting their turn.

I imagine that this pizza would also be delicious if topped with a little bacon and ranch dressing and green onions. You could also substitute the bbq sauce for hot wing sauce and make a hot wing pizza. Teriyaki sauce and pineapple would make a tasty treat too. You could substitute burrito or enchilada sauce for the bbq and use taco meat with taco toppings and have an open crispy taco.The possibilities are endless so have fun!!!!

Here’s a pic of what I see every morning when I get to school:

Isn't it pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment