Friday, January 16, 2009

Teriyaki Sauce and Fried rice

Last night I made teriyaki chicken and fried rice. I loved the sauce but Mike wasn't too fond of it.
: (

I will make this again for myself because I really liked it.
Here's the recipe for the teriyaki sauce:

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (I love Kikkoman)
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 water
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup cold pineapple juice

Directions

  1. Combine soy sauce, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, water, brown sugar, and garlic in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  2. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold pineapple juice and add to sauce.
  3. Stir constantly to allow the sauce to thicken.
  4. If the sauce is too thick add a little water or soy sauce to thin.
All of the pineapple juice can be substituted for water. I just like pineapple with my teriyaki. About a tbs of ginger can also be added. I don't like ginger though, so I left it out. I also upped the garlic a LOT because I'm a garlic nut.


For the fried rice:

Ingredients
4 cups white rice (cold and at least 1 day old works best)
2 large eggs
2 minced garlic cloves (again, I'm a garlic nut so I upped it)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (I used just peas and it was still tasty)
1 white diced onion (I omitted this because I don't care for onion)
½ cup soy sauce (or to your taste)
1/2 cup chicken stock
Sesame oil
Vegetable oil

1.Beat eggs and scramble in about 1 tbs oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and one teaspoon of vegetable oil to the wok. Stir fry diced onion (I skipped this step) and garlic for 30 seconds.
3.Add peas and carrots mix and stir fry until vegetables are done to desired tenderness.

4.
Add a little more oil and then add the rice and stir fry for a couple minutes. Add chicken stock and soy sauce to the rice while stir frying.
5. Add the scrambled egg and mix well. Heat thoroughly and serve.


You can also add chicken to the mix.

4 comments:

  1. You should make that for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Elly,
    Thank for coming over the the Big Red Kitchen and dropping a line. We loved living in Germany and I really like soldiers, married one myself. We lived at Fort Bragg for 4 years then on to Germany after that. We loved our Army years and made some great friends. Do drop in from time to time and see what's cookin' on my end! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont know if you check this bloq normally, but i didnt want to sign up at the fish forum just tell you about Fissidens splachnobryoides. AQ magic is a bit frustrating since the seller is in malaysia. but the plant origins are from asia so im assuming he knows how to care for it. ricca and pellia grow into bushes, pellia has rounder leaves whereas ricca is more of a stem like moss. so if youre looking for a "lawn" type moss fissidens would be best. Otherwise, id go with mini Riccia. the lush green fissidens you see in the picture can be achieved with eco-complete and a well established co2 system. (assuming your tank is already setup for plants). Anyway, if you think aquatic magic is iffy you can buy from him on ebay so that his shipments are guaranteed. hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete